Great Road Trip of 2015: Day One

21 Jul

Before I get to day one…

I’ve been surprised at how hard it has been to get Internet access on this trip. I even struck out in Seattle, of all places, and you will find out more about that in the Day One story. Meanwhile, the focus of this trip has got to be spending time with Grace and making miles to Illinois. Getting Internet access has had to take a back seat to those goals. With that in mind, I cannot promise daily updates, but I will eventually cover every day of the trip.

On to Day One!

We got off to a great start on Saturday morning. We got out of the house on time (relatively, for us). We had to make a couple of stops in Redding for fuel, banking, and picking up last minute supplies. We cleared Redding by eight o’clock, and my target was to arrive in Portland between three and five.

I am still learning to estimate my long range drive times with some lumbar issues that have appeared over the last few years. Among other things, arthritis has set in upon my lumbar, and it can go out of whack pretty easily. My chiropractor has always told me that I can do these long drives as long as I stop every hour to get out of the vehicle and stretch. Yeah, well…this is ‘advice’ right? Not a law? These days I stop for a stretch break more often than I used to, but still not as much as Dr. Moore would probably like. We’ll see how that goes. People had told me that it is an eight hour drive from our house to Portland. I was hoping to get to Portland between three and five in the afternoon, depending upon how often we had to stop for my back.

On the way to Redding, I made a fun discovery in my truck. When I bought the truck, I hung my half-heart pendant from my rear view mirror. (Patsy, of course, has the other half.) Other things have been added to the half-heart pendant from that mirror over the years. I threaded a piece of green yarn through a metal tag from a pair on Wolverine boots I bought and hung it from the mirror. My kids hung a Batman toy. Over the years, these things have aged in the sun and gotten tangled together. Batman looks like he was in a bad whaling accident and got tangled up in the rope from the harpoon. I had intended to take everything down but the half-heart before this trip, but never did. As Grace and I headed to Redding, we had both windows down, which I never do when driving alone…which is basically all of the time in the truck.

We discovered that with both windows rolled down at highway speeds, Batman gets caught in the cross breeze and swings wildly around under the mirror. Batman dances!

We made a couple of stops in Redding, and then headed north. After passing through the coniferous forest between Shasta Lake and Mount Shasta, we passed north into the high desert of the Klamath River basin. Green gave way to brown. Tall, green pines were replaced by short grey-green sage and brown grasses. We stopped for a back-stretch in Yreka, after about an hour and a half. The high desert gave way to green mountains again across the Oregon border as we climbed Siskiyou Pass through the mountains south of Ashland. High desert showed up again between Ashland and Medford.

After we passed Ashland, Grace started experiencing some discomfort in her side. The pain was concerning at first, and I thought the trip was probably going to be over before it even started. We figured out that the discomfort was caused by the Nissan truck’s bench seat, and she solved it by putting her pillow behind her back.

We stopped for fuel in Grants Pass. Beyond here, everything was new ground for me, and it will be until we reach Wisconsin. One feature of Oregon’s topography that I noticed on this trip is that Oregon is crossed by rivers heading roughly west to the Pacific Ocean. Travel north on I-5 across Oregon is accomplished by climbing a ridge, dropping down into the river basin and across a flat, then climbing the next ridge, and down into the next basin. Repeat until you get to the Willamette Valley. The Willamette River flows north into the Columbia River. When you reach the Willamette Basin north of Eugene, I was reminded of driving down the Sacramento River Valley in California. We drove up a broad plain with the mountains pushed back to the east and west.

We arrived in Portland around four o’clock. Success!

Then we had to meet our two goals of visiting Powell’s City of Books and Music Millennium. I hate city driving.
Fortunately, I have had extraordinary success with the mapping app that came installed on my Droid phone. I knew this app was good when it could get me around Arcata, California and never send me the wrong way up a one-way street. My Droid served us well in Portland and got us right to Powell’s. Grace was also awesome in relaying the Droid’s instructions to me, and looking ahead on the map to confirm where we were going. She is a great navigator! One thing that not even the Droid could do, however, was get us to an open parking spot. It took the better part of a lap around a few blocks to find a spot, but we made it.

Powell’s is simply incredible. Powell’s is the kind of bookstore you would expect to find on Harry Potter’s Diagon Alley. The bookstore literally fills a city block. When you enter off the street, it doesn’t look that big. Then when you go through a door into the next room, you begin to see how truly massive it is. Rooms ahead with books. Stairs to the right going up to the Coffee Level, and more books. Stairs over there branching off into other rooms. Go through this door and find two more rooms. A person could get lost in there!

I found one out of print writing book by Rita Mae Brown which I used to own but lost. I had been looking for a replacement for some time. We found one book from a list Patsy had given us. Grace found a few books, and gave book advice to another young adult trying to choose between several books.

The Droid got us to Music Millennium, too. This store was a replay of Powell’s, but with music. You enter into a small room loaded with CDs. As you look around and go through a door, you find another small room loaded with CDs. As you work your way to the other side of this room, you find a door, a short set of steps, and another room packed with CDs. Past this room, you find a room packed with vinyl records. And another room of vinyl! A person could go broke in here!

After we spent our money, the Droid got us back to I-5 North. (Grace says we need to find a more respectable name for our mapping app than ‘The Droid’.) We stopped for dinner in Longview, and then considered our options.

I had planned to camp in one of Washington’s state parks north of Longview and get to Seattle in the morning, driving through Rainier National Park. We would get a room and visit with my friends Doug and Erlene, and then do our sightseeing on Monday morning. We would leave for Montana early on Tuesday morning.

One big factor in my reluctance to commit to a solid plan was not knowing how far I could actually get in one day. On my Colorado camping trip in 2002, people who know the I-80 East route told me that I should plan to get to Salt Lake City in one day and call that good. I actually got into Salt Lake City by five o’clock in the afternoon, with plenty of daylight ahead and still feeling good, so I pressed on to Green River, Wyoming before stopping. I wound up getting to Fort Collins, Colorado within twenty-eight hours of leaving home. I never had a problem on that trip finding a room wherever I happened to want to stop for the night.

When I planned this trip, I knew I could get to Portland in one day, but not so sure I could get to Seattle because of my back. My back was still holding up fine when we stopped for dinner, and I still had plenty of energy.

As we discussed it and realized that Seattle was only two and a half hours away, we figured we could get to Seattle that night, get a room, and have all of our Sunday morning for sightseeing, visit with Doug and Erl, and hit the road Monday, giving us an extra day to get to, or spend in, Round Lake.

We went with Plan B.

We got into Seattle around eleven o’clock…and discovered that Seattle is not hip to ‘making-it-up-as-you-go’ type travelers. Motel after motel I checked with was full. Five of them. (Thank you one more time, Droid phone, for doing all that research for me! All I had to do was touch an icon on the screen in the mapping app and then press ‘call’.) Grace started worrying about having to sleep in the truck. The sixth motel I checked had a vacancy. We won’t talk about the head shops or tattoo parlors in the neighborhood. I bet Sam and Dean Winchester are in this motel someplace, on the trail of something supernatural.

And to top it off, our room location was such that even though we had ‘WiFi access’, the signal was so poor that it was useless. I suppose I could have complained, but by that point, our options were limited.

Take it from me…if you ever travel to Seattle in the summer, book your room well in advance!

Sunday was for Seattle. More on that next time…

Leave a comment

Posted by on July 21, 2015 in Road Trip, Sightseeing


Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: